Monday, February 23

Obnoxious Cretins

Ok, this isn't about a cyclist, or about biking really at all (except for the second part) but since I thought the Obnoxious Cretin was a cyclist I guess that's why I feel I should include this here.

Tonight I was traveling south on South Logan. I reached out building and had noticed that Mandy was behind me. I knew she would block traffic behind so I could parallel park. It's crazy on Logan trying to parallel park around rush hour. No one slows down, no one gets over to give you room, obnoxious cretins in SUVs almost take you and your door out as they scream past, obviously exceeding the speed limit.

So I was glad to have her behind me, stopping traffic that would not normally be stopped.

So I started to ease back into the meager space between two vehicles and I saw a light, a single light barreling between Mandy and the parked car next to her. I thought it was a bike, so I hit my brakes, but then the OBNOXIOUS CRETIN ON A MOTORCYCLE blasted between me and the car next to me.

If I hadn't stopped, thinking the guy was a cyclist I would have blocked him, he would have hit me from behind and it would have been his fault.

So congratulations genius, you made it! Barely...

PART II

Yesterday we were on our way home heading NW along Speer toward Logan. I could see up ahead a flashing red LED bike light in the left lane of Speer. I couldn't believe a cyclist was riding in the lane of traffic on Speer as opposed to the wide sidewalk or the Cherry Creek Trail.

Now, I'm not a big sidewalk rider. I don't unless the sidewalk is slash bike path or unless it does not make sense to ride in the road (like on Speer) or I've got the kids along a busy road.

So as I approached Logan I saw the guy turn onto Logan and then stop at the red light at the SE bound side of Speer.

I pulled up behind him and we waited for the light to change. I decided I would pass him as soon as the light changed where the road was wide (and since there was nothing coming northbound on Logan) and as it changed yellow on Speer he started across. I went when the light turned green, tried to get off fast so I could get around him, but I gave him a wide berth, plenty of room.

But after he was across Speer he veered to the right into the parking lot there and HE FLIPPED ME OFF.

I'm still not sure why. I never got close to him, I didn't gun my engine, I gave him much more space and consideration than I am used to getting on my bike. And when he flew the bird I wasn't even abreast of him, I was still behind him and he had never even glanced over his shoulder to look at our car.

I then noticed the tattoo on the back of his calf, his messenger bag and knit hat.

He wasn't riding a fixie, but he had the ragged attitude that fixie riders dream of having.

Still not sure what I did...

No comments:

Post a Comment