Friday, May 1

Stuff White People Like

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/10/61-bicycles/

Notice the photo of the bike. What type of bike is it?


LATER:

Why do I heap such disdain upon fixiots? Well, I have a feeling there are very few true bike messengers out there. Very few...read: less than 0.0000000001% of the population to be exact.

And don't get me wrong, I loved Quicksilver and think the bike messenger culture is cool and I would love to be able to be a bike messenger.

But these yuppies in Wash Park and Capitol Hill are as far from that culture as I am from an East Asian culture. Their fixed gear bikes are a fashion statement, abandoning all common sense and utility to look cool. And I cannot abide fashion statements. A fashion statement is a way of saying, "Hey! Notice me and how unique I am! I look and act like everyone else on the planet."

I've heard the arguments for fixed gear bikes...simple, not much to adjust or maintain. I don't think maintaining or adjusting stuff is so complex that it would warrant riding a bike that cannot efficiently climb hills or brake and which more than likely is going to put your life in danger. And then if you make concessions and add a freewheel and/or brakes to a classic fixed gear bike then you aren't holding true to the fashion and you are nothing more than a poser.

Long live the derailleur!

No comments:

Post a Comment