Thursday, June 11

Moods

This morning I sat in the kitchen chair glaring at my bike where it was propped against the back of the couch. I hated it. I wanted to throw it out the door and off the deck.

I woke at 4:45. My intention was to get out the door by 5:00 and ride to the summit of Bergen Peak. Once I was awake it hit me...the trail up there would be a mess from the recent rains.

Ugh!

So then I tried to figure out a new pre-work TBP training ride...my mind kept drawing a blank as the minutes ticked away.

Both my bikes need a good cleaning from weather the last few days. Both are gritty with road crud and needing some maintenance, but I have slacked as usual on the preventive maintenance issues. (Need to check the fluids in the cars too!)

I kept hitting a wall while trying to decide what I was going to do. And I dreaded dealing with ignorant drivers and their behavior. I didn't want to ride on the road at all, but our new place is surrounded by roads...

Recently I read (and referenced in an earlier blog) John Forester's "Effective Cycling" techniques. I believe in what he supports, but putting it into practice in the real world if difficult. Taking the lane, sticking your neck out, behaving as a vehicle...very difficult when motorists have the advantage of being protected behind steel and glass while you have little or no protection.

I've been trying, trying to be consistent, ride where the law allows me to ride and maintain my position. And this morning I just didn't want to do it. I am frustrated with the lack of consideration which actually translates to reckless behavior on the part of motorists and I am tired of feeling like the freak on the road, though I have every right to be there and I'm not alone! There are scads of cyclists on the road in Colorado.

After deliberating for over an hour I finally decided I would ride. I'd turn it into a hill workout. Jewell to Alameda, over Dinosaur Ridge, down to Morrison and then up through Red Rocks (where I found a killer steep hill) and then on over to Golden.

Once outside and moving my mood improved, but only slightly.

I was almost to the amphitheater at Red Rocks before I was finally in a good mood and that I love living in the Lakewood/Morrison area. I love being able to ride to work and I love who I am and what I do.

I had pedaled a long way from that kitchen chair where I sat hating my bike and the Triple Bypass and everything less than convenient in life.

This kinda makes me chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment