Tuesday, October 6

Back in the Saddle

I'm trying to reorient my mindset as the seasons are changing. I had opted not to ride my bike much in July and the first part of August because I spent so much time riding in preparation for the TBP in the months prior. But after my "month off" I have just not been interested in riding much. I tried getting back on the bicycle commuter horse, but that fell through due to a week of funky appointments.

I think a big part of my lack of motivation is our new locale. Lakewood just doesn't lend itself to riding like Denver to Golden did. The rides around our new place just don't appeal to me like the rides around Denver did. I liked riding in the city. I loved that my morning commute took me down Cherry Creek, past downtown Denver and Invesco and then up through Sloan's Lake. I loved my ride.

Now I'm not so motivated. I need to do something to kick start myself back into riding. My car will not pass emissions and I need to start looking for a feasible solution to that problem. Of course if Mandy were to get a job then we could afford to buy a replacement car for mine, but the reality is that I have to plan as if she won't find a job. Right now things aren't looking good and it might actually be better if she is free to volunteer at Boone's school and stay home with Lily. It might be better…

I want to be in better shape. Riding consistently would allow me to get in better shape. That should be motivation enough…but now that I am completely out of the habit and the weather has turned cold I find it even harder to get up the gumption to ride. Of course I fancy myself this hardman extraordinaire…but I don't follow through. I need to suck it up and be the person I want to be. I am so sick of not being in the shape I want to be in and I am so sick of being unmotivated all the time. Grrrr!!!

I think I'm going to go ahead and try to sell my car. If I can get a few hundred dollars out of it I can invest that in better clothing and gear for riding every day. I think I can plan out and manage anything I need to without the car, save going up into the mountains for fun stuff. So those days will be fewer and farther between…such is life. At least for now anyway. I know things will get better.

And for now I just need to get my act together and make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment