Wednesday, June 16

Why I Am Feeling More Green With Each Day That Passes

British Petroleum

'Nuff said.

Recent Facebook posts I have made:

...Dedicated to British Petroleum (with some cycling photos)

...save a coastal marshland, ride a bike

..."A simple answer would be appreciated here!", "So the scientists are making it up?!" (in response to an Early Show interview with Doug Suttles, COO of BP)

...wants to find a BP station I can ride my bike past

...thanks BP, for strengthening my resolve to ride my bike to work. You will help me lose weight and have fun doing it.

...Remember: when you ride alone, you ride with Hitler!

...Another way I'm going to have fun boycotting BP. Now that we're buying a house we're going to need a mower.

I have teetered on the fence over the whole 'green' issue for a long time. On one hand I believe we should be good stewards of what God has blessed us with as a race and particularly as a wealthy nation. But on the other hand, I don't buy into the bleeding heart liberal agenda. Meat is murder. But its tasty murder and I'm gonna keep eating meat. Yeah, SUVs are evil, but I really can see the benefit in having a 4WD truck living in Colorado. Doesn't mean I'm going to drive it everywhere. Doesn't mean I'm going to live a hundred miles form work and make the long commute everyday.

I like riding my bike to work. I wouldn't do it if I didn't. For me the motivation comes form being independent. I feel more self-reliant when I use my bike to get where I need to go. I can fix the bike myself. I can find the best way to get where I need to be. I just like being less dependent on cars and on other people. That's just me. Its how I've always been and its wired into my brain.

But seeing this catastrophe in the Gulf...makes me sick. I am appalled that more people aren't outraged. I can't believe there aren't riots and protests. There should be. People halfheartedly say they will boycott BP, but how far are we truly willing to go?

Is this just BP's problem? I think not. I think we're all responsible because we contribute to the addiction. We are all enablers. And BP is not the only supplier of our black sticky drug.

Its truly not feasible to completely stop buying items that involve petroleum products. Yesterday I read an article that listed a bunch of household items that are made with petroleum products. One was toothpaste. As I was brushing my teeth this morning I thought: "You can brush with baking soda, is there petroleum in baking soda?"

That's how we need to be thinking. We don't need to turn off the spigot, but we need to figure out which flowers we can stop watering. Some of them are really just weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment