Tuesday, August 24

Bike-packing in Gold Country

Cooked up an ambitious scheme this morning...

I want to take the kids camping this weekend so I was looking for some place we could camp, ride our bikes, play in the water and maybe climb. Then I thought it might be cool to find a rail-trail to do. I was thinking of trying to find a good camping spot near the Switzerland Trail, and then I remembered the Gold Camp Road/rail trail near Colorado Springs.

It follows an old rail-bed and passes through Pike National Forest south of Pikes Peak. You could easily ride from CO Spgs to Cripple Creek with a good portion of the ride following a nice easy grade all the way.

It passes St. Peter's Dome and a few other high points and I'm sure there are views of Pikes Peak to the north.

Then I discovered that there is a USFS campground about 12-13 miles from the eastern trailhead and that's when the really dangerous thoughts began to brew.

What if i took the kids camping and hauled all our stuff in on the bike and in the trailer? It could work! It would work! It was working already! And I've also found a mountain bike to borrow for Mandy for the weekend. She seems willing to go and give it a try.

I know if we take our time and have plenty of snacks and diversions that Boone could do the ride.

This is gonna be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment