Monday, January 24

Dependency and Addiction

The higher foothills were wrapped in snowy goodness this morning. Y'know, those misty clouds over already fallen snow with the promise of lots more…made me want to pedal right on past work, up Mount Vernon Canyon, through Bergen Park and on up Squaw Pass Road and beyond. But alas! They would stop paying me if I stopped showing up. I am a whore that way.

I started working a little more diligently on my magnum opus yesterday. It's going to be bike-centric and slightly anti-automobile and anti-suburban sprawl. I wish I had a cabin in said foothills where I go could go and just hang out as the snow fell (either softly or in a blowing manner), read and write books, wander out into the woods, stoke the fire, ride a bike when the snow is gone and snowshoe or ski the rest of the time. I'm anti-social that way. Other than my family I prefer my doses of society in teaspoon droppers, infrequently and even then only through the internet.

Like I keep saying: I'm not saving for my retirement; I'm holding out for the apocalypse. I think the prospect of my retirement and the potential for social calamity resulting in apocalypse are neck and neck. Why fight it?

Anyway, what does all this have to do with cycling? Everything I guess. If I were a professional writer (you couldn't tell?) I'm sure I would have drifted toward cycling related writing long ago. If I could have been self employed and/or worked from home long ago I think I would have gone fully over to a carless lifestyle much earlier in my life. I've honestly been trying for…well, ever. My first job slinging hay for local farmers involved me commuting by bike to the farms where I worked. I was fifteen. When I first went to college my car stayed behind with a busted motor until Christmas break. By then I was so used to riding my bike around Nashville I didn't stop just because I had a car. And then when I went to photography school in Dayton I was facing the death of my car so I relied almost completely on my bike (the Trusty Cannonball) through an Ohio winter.

It was only while I lived in Kentucky and was in school that I was unable to use my bike as my primary mode of transportation. As I look back on my life as a grown human being I am beginning to see more and more that I have been a cyclist all along, with short periods of dependency on the car, instead of a motorist with short periods of dependency on the bike.

The only time in my life I wasn't more trusting in two wheels over four was my years 16 to 18 when I was completely infatuated with the car for its own sake.

As I mature I see more and more value in stepping away from the car for good. It can happen.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree. But I think I want to be somewhere in Wyoming when it happens, far, far away from the hungry hoards.

    ReplyDelete