Wednesday, January 19

Franken-Cannon-Stein-Ball X

I've had a thought, and good that I've had it now, even if I don’t take advantage of my genius when the time comes I can still say I considered the possibility and chose not to take that advantage.

As you know, faithful reader(s), I have big plans to convert my mild mannered Cannonball into the Cannonball X: a mean, long-tailed haulin' machine. It occurred to me within the last few days that I could convert the old Cannonball over to disc brakes at the same time. Oh yeah! I said it.

Dave Lutes, were he dead, would be turning over in his grave. He pestered me for years to get front shocks and disc brakes for the old metal monster. In fact, when he did the complete overhaul of the bike way back in 2006 or so, I fully expected to get it back looking like some Jersey Guy's mountain bike. As far as I know Dave is still pedaling, so please, don’t tell him what I'm about to tell you.

I'm not going with front suspension (though I briefly considered that option too) but I think I may go with at least rear disc brakes initially, and if not at first, then down the road a few months maybe make the change over to front disc brakes as well.

The impetus for this is when I realized it would be easy enough to get the Free Radical kit with disc brakes as opposed to V brakes. And then I realized I could swap out the OBS's wheels until I could afford a second dedicated set. Oh, it would be inconvenient at times, but I never ride both bikes at the same time, so it wouldn’t be that big a deal.

Then I got to thinking about what it would take to convert the front to disc. I've been pondering going from a threaded headset to threadless. A former co-worker gave me a drop handlebar a long time ago (before he left for Montana) after a conversation where I contemplated going commuter with the then MTB iteration of the Cannonball. The catch is I can't just swap out handlebars, so I need to do the threaded-to-threadless thing and then use the stem from the Giant (RIP). If I am going to go to all that trouble it might just make more sense to find a cheap threadless fork on craigslist that will readily accept disc brakes.

In my fuzzy knowledge of bike components it seems as if this would be the best way to go, but I'm slightly uncertain if all the metal parts will fit well together. Looks like I'm going to be harassing some bike shop guy soon. And then I could just glean the almighty internet. But you know how that goes. You've got to paw around in the gross stuff on top until you find clean water beneath. I've been fairly fortunate with bike related stuff though. Once I get the vernacular right I usually find what I'm looking for pretty quick.

So there you have it, my continuing Frankenstein scheme aimed at my beloved Cannonball…

Hope I have photos to share soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment