Thursday, February 10

I'm in Transportation Limbo

I'm scared.

Will I be able to do it? Will I need assistance? What will the trails be like? Will I fall? Will cars run me over? How will I stay warm?

I'm considering riding tomorrow. But it's been a week today since I commuted to work by bike. I've either carpooled or called in sick for five days. It seems like a long time...

The chain on the Cannonball has rusted. Sob.

So before I can ride I need to do some maintenance, both mechanical and mental. I need to step it back up. I am confident I can return to pre-illness levels within a fortnight. Gosh, I hope so!

Anyway, I haven’t decided about tomorrow yet. There's still a lot of snow on the ground and most certainly there will be ice in places. I've got plenty of time to get there in the morning and scout things out. The temps in the morning should be warmer. I'm riding.

There. Brain fixed. Got to apply some loving attention to the bike tonight. Tire pressure. Lube. Restock the survival pannier. Have Boone show me how to ride the bike again...

I need some two wheeled therapy. I've noticed as I've carpooled in warm cars all week that I've been grinning like an idiot as the landscape flashed by. But then again, I've not been driving. Speaking of which, the last time I rode with my family Mandy got behind the wheel. I asked if she wanted me to drive.

"Nah, I'd rather not listen to you go on about how bad everyone else is driving."

...

So I didn’t drive. On one of my rides in eons past I contemplated what would happen if I just "forgot" to renew my drivers license in 2013. Well, assuming the Mayan calendar is just a ruse. Other than writing the occasional check or getting on an airplane (snicker!) I really don't have a huge need for it. I could go to a state issued ID.

Nah, we're not there yet. But we're closer than most.

No comments:

Post a Comment