Friday, March 18

Absolutely Nothing About My SuburBubba Encounter This Morning

After an extended hiatus from bouldering (climbing close to the ground without ropes) my recent, though brief, over-indulgence has affected my ability to apply my brakes with the appropriate level of diligence. I was concerned because despite the 60 and 70 degree temps of the past couple of days I woke up to snow on the ground. Icy commutes necessitate fine control of the steel steed. Thankfully there was no ice even though Steve Casey told me it was one degree below the point of freezing.

I'm currently "ate up" with excitement for the impending longtail assault on Arvada. My head is ready to explode. I am salivating. Its hard to sit still to compose this post. There, I got up and did a little dance and am now back to go on and on and on and on and on about Xtracycles, Radishes, Big Dummies and Utes. Waaaaahhhh!

I had to get that out of my system.

I'm headed to the Front Range Cyclist Bicycle Show with Bob Matter of Assisted Cycling Tours tomorrow. I'm excited. This will be my first "industry" event. I wanted to go to the Colorado Bicycle Summit in February, but the cost and a brief bout of flu-ish symptoms in conjunction with much snow kept me away. Look for a write-up over the weekend, or Monday. Why, oh why didn’t I gravitate toward a career in cycling back when the choices were easier? Oh well, this will be fun, and a good break FROM work.

I'm looking forward to taking Bike Arvada to local events over the summer and into the fall. The cycling community seems so much more inclusive of all abilities all interests compared to the climbing community. In the climbing realm, if you're not a hard or extremely prolific climber you really don't matter. And despite the perception, I don’t think that's the case in cycling.

Case in point: Salvagetti's Commuter Cycling Team. I have been so encouraged to be part of the inaugural year of the effort, and I hope next year it will continue. I'm working on ideas to share with Scott for the future. I think it can be a great effort, and also involve people who are committed to cycling that are not athletes per se, but who may actually be more dedicated cyclists than road and mountain bike racers and cyclocrossers. The crux of a commuter team is keeping involvement up while not having regular organized events.

Well, got to go back to my day job now. Remember, smart people ride bikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment