Wednesday, April 20

Four Twenty


June 29, 2010

A year ago the worst ecological disaster in history (so far) began. A year later what have we learned? Not much it seems.

I was already on my way to begin car-lite/car-free, but that one event that dragged on most of last summer inspired me to move toward a seriously reduced dependence on fossil fuels. That one event has strengthened my resolve and boosted my motivation to live in a more responsible manner and to make an effort, finally, to have a smaller carbon footprint. It’s a process, and I'm still working on it, but a year later I can look at my life and be satisfied that I am making an effort. I've been working to educate myself on global and ecological issues since that time. I've studied politics more closely. I've examined social and personal issues and the relationships between all of the threads of my life. I'm building up a knowledge base to go along with my desire to write.



Post-BP Disaster I am more inclined to believe in a Post Carbon Apocalypse. I have no problem admitting I believe in an impending social calamity. I think the signs are evident. Today is Hitler's birthday. Today is the anniversary of the Red Baron's last victories in the air (he was killed the next day). And today is the 12th anniversary of the Columbine shooting right here in Jefferson County. Of course some enlightened souls are celebrating the ganja today. Glad they could come along on this wonderful journey called life. Glad they get a vote.

But as a society we've been smoking something so much worse…




VS.

No comments:

Post a Comment