Monday, May 2

Wake Up Call

With Bin Laden dead the true test of Al-Qaeda's influence in the Middle East and the world beyond will become apparent. As well stated in this article on Oil-price.net:

But any change in the Middle East situation for better of worse in the days following his death will be proof of the organization's reach and shed light on the uprisings' true agenda.


If we see massive retaliation it will be obvious that the man had great influence. If not, then he was just an oil trust fund brat waging rebellion instead of hanging out at the yacht club.

I mention this on my cyclo-centric blog because where I am now in the world relates back to the events of September 11, 2001. My world view was radically reshaped as those towers fell. When I visited Ground Zero in the summer of 2002 I fought back tears. And now, almost ten years later as I watched a documentary on 9/11 with my son I fought tears with a shaky voice as I explained to him what happened.

With Bin Laden dead, the man supposedly behind those attacks, I feel oddly unsatisfied. I think a living body on which to enact justice would have provided much more closure. But I understand the kind of opportunities for nefarious deeds that would have arisen as his followers would've attempted to force his release. I'm guessing the way it happened was the only way it could have happened.

While I think there is significance to this day, I hope it will pass quietly.

No comments:

Post a Comment