Sunday, July 10

Buffalo Creek

In defiance of the forecasted thunderstorms this afternoon I subjected the OBS to the indignity of being hauled on the rooftop rack of Forester Gump to Pine.

The climb up the Buck Gulch Trail up out of the river valley kicked my butt. I walked a couple of times. Gasp!



I was racing the weather the whole day. Storms rumbled to the north of me and the south of me. I never got rained on and the lightning kept a respectful distance at least.

The weather must have scared off the masses. I had the Buck Gulch Trail, Eos Mill Road, Miller Gulch Trail and the Strawberry Jack Trail all to myself. The only other people I saw were some guys shooting guns along Enos Mill Road. Oh! And the lone MTBer that screamed past me descending Miller Gulch Road. I was flying myself, scaring myself, and I heard "ON YOUR LEFT!" in my left ear. I squeezed over barely enough as another cyclist blew my doors off. I slowed down a little after that.

I rode out Miller Gulch Trail, stashed the bike and hiked over to Baldy Peak. I scrambled to the summit, tagged and bagged it and got the heck off the exposed granite dome.



I retraced my route back to the Strawberry Jack Trail and raced the weather back to Pine Valley Open Space park where Gump waited.

The descent down Strawberry Jack was a blast! I can't wait to go back.

1 comment:

  1. When you went to South Park you drove through Pine Junction and Bailey on 285. It's south of that area just a few miles.

    ReplyDelete