Sunday, August 28

USAPCC (Final) Stage 6: Golden to Denver

I slammed into Golden on 44th a full 4:00 ahead of the leaders. As I crossed the starting line I pumped my fists in the air in victory, bellowing to the heavens in exultation. The sparse crowd of spectators looked at me as if I had horns growing out of my head. I sheepishly attacked my pedals and started my second loop around town to cross the line again.



73.8 miles, three passes through Golden, up and over Lookout Mountain, out to Denver and six laps before finishing at the state capitol. And we were there.



I did ride over early to catch the Founders' Race up Lookout Mountain. I stayed until or friend Andy Kerr passed and then headed over to church.







I cut out at 10:30 and rode the Cannonball over to 19th and Illinoising where I got some great photos of the peloton starting up Lookout Mountain.















I jetted back to church, grabbed the kids and we watched the riders come blasting down Johnson below where I work.





Levi! High five!















The riders continued back into Golden and then out to Denver. Oss and Viviani took first and second in the stage in a sprint to the line and Levi Leipheimer held onto his time lead and won the inaugural USA Pro Cycling Challenge.



The final jersey winners for the USA Pro Cycling Challenge:



Levi Leipheimer - YELLOW (leader jersey)

Rafael Montiel - Red (King of the Mountain)

Elia Viviani - Green (Best sprinter)

TeJay VanGarderen - Blue (Best young rider)

Timmy Duggan - Orange (Most aggressive rider)



The final time standings (top five, all USA):



1) Levi Leipheimer Team RadioShack 20:00:24

2) Christian VandeVelde Team Garmin-Cervélo 20:00:35

3) Tejay Van Garderen HTC-Highroad 20:00:41

4) Tom Danielson Team Garmin-Cervélo 20:00:45

5) George Hincapie BMC Racing Team 20:01:17

No comments:

Post a Comment