Tuesday, November 15

The Be All, End All Insulated Klean Kanteen Review

Klean Kanteen, the company, is amazing. I just want to say that up front. Customer service is top notch. The product is top notch. The experience is top shelf.



After my last "review" I was contacted directly by a KK customer service rep. He told me they were going to send me a replacement Insulated KK to ensure I was completely satisfied with the product. I felt a little guilty. I had not meant for my take on the Insulated KK to be even slightly disparaging. I realized I could have given a better review. Of course, maybe they were just responding to the title of my post: "Gimme More Klean Kanteen."

So as I pondered how to rectify my poor journalistic standards I realized I had to be more scientific. I had to be more objective and use some kind of quantitative measurement to determine the quality of the product.

What follows is a much more rigid comparison with some effort at control. I have a little experience with this, as I did a sock liner comparison last spring between wool, polypro and silk sock liners. But then I realized no one wanted to read about my sock experiment, so I never posted it. Wool won, BTW.

Here goes:



I did a two day test, weather conditions were almost exactly the same, the only thing that changed was that on the first day I checked the temperature immediately after my cold commute, and the second day I let the Insulated KK sit on my desk for a few hours before testing. I tested first with my finger in the liquid and then by drinking.

5:45am Day 1
Coffee has brewed. I take my replacement 16 oz. Insulated Klean Kanteen and fill it with coffee. After screwing on the Stainless Wide Loop Cap I tuck the whole shebang into a reusable grocery bag, and then immediately into the FreeLoader on my Xtracycle to be portaged to work. I pedal for 55 minutes through air that is hovering right at the point where water becomes solid.

7:30am Day 1
I get to work, remove the Stainless Wide Loop Cap and screw on the Wide Café Cap. Coffee is wonderfully hot. It was almost too hot for me to drink (I'm a wuss, remember) and I daresay exceeded any of my expectations. I could only hold my finger in the hot coffee for about two and a half seconds. Ouch!

5:45am Day 2
Coffee has brewed. I take my replacement 16 oz. Insulated Klean Kanteen and fill it with coffee. After screwing on the Stainless Wide Loop Cap I tuck the whole shebang into a reusable grocery bag, and then immediately into the FreeLoader on my Xtracycle to be portaged to work. I pedal for 55 minutes through air that is hovering right at the point where water becomes solid.

1:30pm Day 2
I don't drink my coffee right away. After lunch I decide it's time. I remove the Stainless Wide Loop Cap and screw on the Wide Café Cap. Coffee is warm, BUT...almost eight hours have passed. It's not so hot that I can't leave my finger in the liquid, and drinking is pleasant.

Going almost two full hours beyond Klean Kanteen's promise of six hours for warm beverages, I was pleased to discover that the coffee was only slightly cooler than my preferred drinking temperature. It wasn't cool enough that I felt it necessary to transfer the coffee to my ceramic mug and stick it in the microwave. After eight hours!

The performance of the Insulated Klean Kanteen far exceeds any of the thermoses I've ever owned, and I'll stand by the product for its quality and the company for their commitment to customer satisfaction. And no, they didn't pay me to say that.


Personalized

Eleventh hour addition: This morning I rode in, basically same conditions plus ten degrees Fahrenheit, except I had the Insulated KK inside a backpack tucked inside some stuff. It had its own insulation plus some added insulation. After an hour the coffee was as hot as if it had come straight out of the pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment