Friday, December 9

Ramming Speed Friday: And We're Ba-ack!

Just last night I realized there had not been a bona-fide Ramming Speed Friday in a long time. Friday, November 4 was the last...

And so, in an effort to reintroduce an institution here on the Pavement's Edge, I felt it would be good to give you a little history on "Ramming Speed Friday."

I would have to say that the original idea came when I integrated a line from the character Stu, the 'bent rider, in Yehuda Moon during a conversation about biking. It didn't take long before my wife and I had included the phrase "ramming speed" as a permanent fixture in our conversations.

The original post (1/21/11) was simply entitled: Ramming Speed Friday and I did little to define the parameters which would qualify a given last commute of the week as a valid RSF. Since then I have determined that for a ride to qualify it must be executed at least a 17mph average for the entire ride. Therefore there are Ramming Speed Fridays and there non-ramming versions.

Since then there have been quite a few posts referencing Ramming Speed Friday. What follows is an exhaustive list.

The original post
RSF: Slushy Side Streets Edition
RSF: Three Day Weekend Edition
Anti-speed Friday
RSF: Headwind Edition
RSF: The Great Escape
RSF: Pedestrian Death Edition
Ramming Speed...What Day Is This?
RSF: Get That Aluminum Foil Off Your Head Edition
Cargo Speed Friday
RSF: I Knew It Edition
RSF: Happy Earth Day Edition
No Ramming Speed Friday
RSF: It's All Training Edition
RSF: Speeding Toward Rapture
Ramming Speed Last Day Before Vacation
Cruising Speed Friday
Healing Speed Friday
RSF: Suspended Until Further Notice
The Early Return of Ramming Speed Friday
RSF: Course Preview Editon
RSF: Warp Factor Apprenticeship
RSF: New Bike Day Edition
RSF: Breaking the Commute Barrier
RSF: Random But Here
RSF: Busted
Relaxed Speed Friday
RSF: Short and Sweet
RSF: Antisocial, Anarchism and Animosity
RSF: Inlaws Edition
These Go To Eleven

The criteria, to determine is a day is an official "Ramming Speed..." are:

1) The average speed must be over 17mph for the entire ride.
2) Typically the commute will be the afternoon or evening commute at the end of a work week.
3) There are no criteria, I made all of this up to take up space.

So today is Friday. Was today a valid RSF?

Alas, no. I only mustered 15mph. I was struggling to maintain that too. I did have to slow for a lot of patches of ice. But I felt sluggish too. Never fear, Dear Readers, I'll be back up to Ramming Speed very soon!

And at some point during the day we crossed the 11,000 pageviews threshhold. Keep 'em coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment