Saturday, May 19

Ramming Speed Friday: Commencement Edition

This afternoon was a mandatory Ramming Speed Friday. I had to rush home to catch a ride up to school for graduation. I didn't have a kid graduating, but my son was in the program and my wife is a teacher at the school.

I rode Minus today and I opted to take the short, though more congested at 5:30pm, route home through Pleasant View, NREL and Applewood.

I've noticed a distinct increase in my speed over the past few weeks. I've been making much better times of late. I even managed a 13.9 mph average on my morning commute the other day. I don't know if that's a record, but I can't remember a time I've done better than 12. I mean, I gain 800 feet in elevation in about seven miles.

Despite having to dodge crazed motorists, and an erratic jogger who almost stepped right into me, I made it home in a chewy 29 minutes. 19.2 mph.

Speaking of 20, I realized tonight that it's now been 20 years since I graduated high school myself. Oddly, I have not been invited to the milestone reunion where we're all supposed to show up and pretend to be skinnier, more successful and still able to grow more hair than all our classmates.

My claim to success, were I to be invited and/or attend a hypothetical 20 year high school reunion, would be that I rode my bike 5,100 miles last year. And I own an Xtracycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment