Monday, May 7

Spatially Oriented

I was ready when I walked into to weekly office meeting this morning. I was expecting to hear: "What's the square root of 81?"

I expected this question because a few weeks ago when my boss came in late to the meeting I asked: "What's 5 plus 4?" He replied: "9," and I added: "What a coincidence, that's what time the meeting starts."

It was good natured ribbing, and I expected a dose of my own medicine as I walked in a couple of minutes late this AM.

I was ready with my smart aleck remark: "I'm a spatial thinker, math's not my strong suit." But the question never came. My boss let me down.

I was a couple of minutes late because it was a rainy commute. I'm not complaining. How could I? And in fact, I rather enjoyed the ride. When I left Arvada there was an almost non-existent drizzle, but by the time I was climbing up out of Golden toward the building I was being pelted by sleet.

I dreaded facing a Monday of work, but it was a peaceful and enjoyable commute in on the Clear Creek Trail on the Cannonball.

We had an exhausting, but rewarding, weekend. Friday I rushed home (Ramming Speed Friday!) and got to work building a chicken coop and a rabbit hutch. Saturday morning we slept in, and then ambled over to the Denver Urban Homesteaders monthly chicken swap. There we laid eyes on goats, ducks, chickens, goats, geese, goats and rabbits. Boone was particularly enthralled by the Flemish Giants.

















The Flemish Giant we did NOT buy (photo by B. Chaney)


The final head count as we headed home was three chicks and two rabbits (not Flemish Giants though).

I spent the rest of the day working on the coop and hutch, though they wouldn't be finished until Sunday. And since I'm not as old as I used to be I feel somewhat worked over. But again, it was a very satisfying effort, and we're stoked to have added animal husbandry to our little Transition experiment.


















Jack and Princess, both girls (we hope)

You may be wondering if we rode the cargo bikes down to the swap, and I must confess, as deliciously pretentious as it would have been, we drove Forester Gump to Denver to pick up the new barnyard treatments.

We would have been faced with facing Cinco de Mayo traffic everywhere, and the distance was great enough that we were cognizant of the amount of time we would have sacrificed toward getting the houses built.

















Finished chicken coop

As I rode in this morning I had some strong thoughts concerning my career path downstream. I have much planning to do before I complete my professional certificate so I can start putting my services out there when I'm finished with the Sustainable Practices Program in June.

Also, I humbly recommend that you check out this Transition Voice post that was inspired by my recent "Peak Bicycling" post: Peak Bicycling 

No comments:

Post a Comment