Wednesday, June 27

Bike to Work Day 2012

In honor of Bike to Work Day 2012 I want to share my quick and easy advice to begin bike commuting, or to increase your frequency or comfort in bike commuting.

Tip 1: Don't let logistics scare you. Like many people, when I started regularly commuting by bike I believed I needed to carry my daily necessities daily. I soon discovered that I could drive on Monday, take all of my food and clothes for the week, and ride the other four days. I've since modified that to riding cargo bike on Mondays and either the road or mountain bike the other four days.

Tip 2: Bikepool. Stole this idea from bike to work day. Many people aren't comfortable or confident enough to strike out on their own. Form a bikepool, meet up somewhere, and ride together for moral and mechanical support. This type of arrangement will require patience and understanding regardless of whether the skill and fitness levels vary.

Tip 3: Practice run. If you're not sure you can pull it off, do a practice commute on your day off to see how feasible it is. Don't overwhelm yourself by trying to tackle a new thing on your way to work. That just adds to the stress.

So that's my quick tips for BTWD. Feel free to add your own in the comments section.


I wanted to post a short story about Bike to Work Day today. The story never materialized. Though I have recently been working on a story that would be BTWD appropriate. I just don't want to divulge the full piece just yet. So for your reading pleasure (hopefully) I am including an excerpt. The story is called "All You Haters."

I turned my coffee mug by its handle and stared at the familiar writing on the side. I stared.

"How was your ride in?" the voice jerked me from my reverie.

I spun in my chair to see Dave Holden filling the gap in my cubicle wall, blocking my escape to the
real world. My heart thumpity-thumped as my fight or flight reflexes kicked in overtime.

"Oh, hey Dave, it was good," I replied trying to sound casual. I didn't really want to talk about my
commute. Some moron had almost killed me with his rust-heap pickup on the way in.

"You know it's supposed to rain this afternoon?" It was less of a question and more of a "Haha
sucker!" kind of statement.

"I brought a rain jacket," I said turning back to my computer to hide my scowl.

"You're gonna get wet!" Dave said before leaving. He cackled as he walked away. I muttered
something ugly.

"What was that?!" Dave stuck an angry face back in my cube.

"I said 'thank you,'" I replied with a fake smile in Dave's general direction.

"Oh..." Dave replied, and then was gone.


My lovely wife rode to Golden with me this morning despite the early heat. Being a school teacher she is always off work when BTWD rolls around each year. It was good to share it with her.


1 comment:

  1. Don't you think that everyday should be Bike ti Work day??? I love cycling!!!

    ReplyDelete