Tuesday, July 10

Smashing The Ones You Love

Up the streets she flew, her new pink handlebar tape bright in the friscalating dusk light, her Wellingtons pumping up and down on the pedals, she banked gracefully into a u-turn to come back down the street toward home...and collapsed in a tangle with her bike in the middle of the street.

WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

I ran to my wife and reached her as she managed to untangle herself from her bike and get to her knees.

When she dove into the turn her rear brake had locked up. Maybe I shouldn't have given the barrel adjuster quite so many turns...

This morning she texted me from an elliptical machine at the gym and said her knee was sore to the touch. I still felt bad. Somehow crashes hurt worse to watch than to have.

And I hate adjusting rim brakes. Give me disc any day!

When I read that she was at the gym I refrained from asking if she rode her bike there. I'm very thankful she didn't get hurt worse. From now on my mantra is going to be: a good bike mechanic does his own test rides!

My own ride in this morning was slow. Not sure what my deal was, but I seriously lagged. So I made up for it by doing leg presses in the weight room before I got ready for work.

I've been exercising my brain considering going tubeless to shave some weight off The One. Cost is an issue. Lack of familiarity and the associated foibles and stress with an unknown factor going into something like Leadville make me think I've missed the window of comfort.

Low weight is expensive. My intent is to do this because I have the physical, not financial, means to succeed. My philosophy is that the bike is never too heavy, I may just not be strong enough. Your gear doesn't limit you, or make you stronger or better, it just creates a more efficient environment. You may perform better with bling from your sponsors, but the gear doesn't make YOU better.

Climbers are alway going on about lightweight carabiners and other gear, always shaving off as much material as possible without compromising strength, in theory; but, even in rock climbing or mountaineering, you can compromise too much.

A climbing friend once gave a sales pitch for some ultra-lightweight carabiners that costed almost three times as much as my "heavier" 'biners that were only grams denser. Finally I couldn't take it anymore.

"Just do some pull-ups!"

So for Leadville, my strategy is: "Just smash harder on the pedals!"

No comments:

Post a Comment