Monday, September 3

Single Lynx

My new project/scheme is to convert Mandy's old Bianchi Lynx MTB into a single speed for adverse winter commuting and just general fun in the dirt.

With a slight stem and bar rise I should be able to ride it comfortably. Its smaller geometry should make for a bike any of us can ride...if I can boost the seat and bars. Purists would point out that I should get my own stinking bike at this point. Well, I'm an "average," and barely so, 5' 9". I think it'll be okay.

Long term I think it needs a front disc brake too, but that will come later. First, to go gearless. Immediately followed by the handlebar facelift.

The cool thing about the Lynx is that it's ridiculously light. Once stripped of its detailers, extra cogs and chain rings, and shifters it'll be even lighter.

The real question then becomes: do I keep it pure and simple or do I stick fenders and a rear rack on it? You can try and smack me now. One of the joys of the Internet...

The other Bianchi in our fleet, Minus, needs some work to stop the clunk in the bottom bracket. This will be interesting because it's not a sealed bottom bracket, so it looks like I get to replace bearings and grease and do all that fun stuff. Never done that before...

Also found my bolt on drops while rummaging about in the shed this afternoon. Got some plans for those. Got an idea at Leadville from another rider.

Anyway, I know there are those that want to know: fixed or freewheel? Well, I refuse to go straight fixed. It has sort of vertical drop outs so flip-flop may not be feasible, but if I can swing the Mittens hub I'll do that. Otherwise, it'll be a singlespeed freewheel. Maybe...a 69er...so many possibilities...

Yeah, I know the seatpost looks like its going to fall out. I'll fix that...

No comments:

Post a Comment