Sunday, November 25

Shuffle It All

They offered. I accepted.

My last day with Jeffco will be December 14th. I'll start my new job as regional transportation planner for 17 central Kentucky counties after the first of the year.

I thought it was going to be a more difficult decision, but in the end, their enthusiasm to hire me overwhelmed my good judgment. Well, not really. But they were terribly enthused and it boosted my confidence.

The organization I'll be working for is quasi-governmental, for those in the Denver area it's much like DRCOG, and I won't be directly implementing transportation projects, but coordinating between local governments and state and federal funding sources.

For me, the opportunity is just what I've been looking for. Unfortunately, due to the unemployment situation in Colorado, and my lack of networking here, I haven't been able to find a similar opportunity that would allow us to stay in Colorado. In my current job I have stagnated and all doors for advancement and mobility have closed in my face.

Having said that, let me reiterate, this past five years has been wonderful for us. We've seen so much, been so many places, done so many things.

So here is the chuckly thing about the new job: it will involve a lot of driving. Commuting by bike may not even be practical. We'll see once I get there. But...and here is the big but...in my new job I think I will potentially be in a position to eventually influence a lot of transportation policy in my home state and county. While personally I may have to give up my opportunity for bike utility and commuting, I will hopefully be able to create opportunities for so many more people to do so. And for me, that would make the sacrifice worth it.

In the recreational cycling realm, there are a lot of exciting things going on in my home state. There will be more to come on that in the weeks and months ahead.

2 comments:

  1. I'm behind in my reading at the moment, but just wanted to say congratulations on your new job! I hope it will be something that will bring you renewed career energy, and that your family will have an easy (or as easy as possible) time with the move and adjustments to a new area.

    ReplyDelete