Tuesday, December 31

Road ID For You And Me

I got this hilarious email from Ed at Road ID on Friday:

Hello Chris,
 I have some fantastic news! No...you didn't win the lottery, but your Road ID order was shipped today (12/27/2013). Per your request, it was shipped via USPS First Class Mail.
So, you live in Kentucky...
We are not only super excited to have you as a customer, we are amped that you're in the great state of Kentucky. We had no idea that we had neighbors as cool as you! In case you are unaware, Road ID HQ is located just up the road, so if you ever need a hug or you just want to say hello, feel free to stop by! As a security feature, however, our doors will only open if you're carrying freshly baked cookies.
I’ve got to say, I was pretty amped to see they were HQed in my home state.  Kentucky isn’t known for its association to healthful activities.  No, we get the bad wrap along with West Virginia for our unholy affinity for coal mining, our extractive sport horse economy, and a lingering bitterness that tobacco farming was taken away from us as a viable industry.
Oh, and let’s not forget what the “K” in “KFC” stands for.
Anyway, for those that might not be familiar with Road ID they make a series of products designed to help identify us when we might happen to get out on the road—whether riding a bike, running, or walking—and get knocked unconscious.  They are inscribed with name, contact info, medical issues, and other pertinent personal information.  Road ID makes wristbands, necklaces, and shoe tags that carry this vital information.
Of course they really are just like a medical ID bracelet for those whose medical issues might be more acute and caused by a poorly driven motor vehicle.  Yeah, I said it.  Let’s not go down the road of victim blaming today.  I’m not in the mood.
Anyway, I don’t like jewelry, watches, rings, etc.  I’ve been given things like the LiveSTRONG bands before and I could never get used to the darn things.  It actually goes deeper than just not liking them.  I have a sensory aversion to them.  So when the Tomahawk asked me how I liked my new Road ID on Saturday night (we ordered our IDs on the 26thand got them on the 28th) I glanced down and remembered I had it on.  I was pleasantly surprised.  That meant it had not affected my sensory defenses and likely wouldn’t.
I wonder how it will be once the full heat of summer comes on.  For me that will be the true test.  Once I start sweating all accessories bug me.  I’ll try to remember to let you know in July.
For less than $20 I got the ID and a century badge to add to it. I got the slim band which is made of a soft rubber.  The metal ID goes around the band as does the badge.
I hope the Road ID is never necessary, but I am glad to finally have something to identify me by other than my dental records.
The pink band was an extra one for Mandy's classic ID, the blue is my slim Road ID.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment