Tuesday, January 28

I'm Thinkin' Mohican

Well, the thoughts have been tossed around sufficiently.  The decision has actually already been made.  I’ve signed up for the 2014 Mohican 100k.  K.  Let me emphasize that distinction.  I will only be racing my mountain-type bicycle 61 or so miles. 

We're going to Loudonville!

There are many reasons to do this.  I have already successfully attained the goal of racing my mountain bike 100 miles.  It will be easier to train for the shorter distance.  I’ll get finished earlier on race day.  At 33 miles (where I DNFed last year) I will be more than halfway to the finish as opposed to only a third of the way.  All of the fun singletrack is within the first part of the race anyway.  It was $50 cheaper.  It’ll be just as much fun. 

And so I’ve been planning some training rides.  I’ve been thinking about routine bike maintenance (it’s time for new cables and housings and perhaps a new chainring/crank/BB setup).  Am I confident enough to go to 1x9?  Most of what I rode last year it was unnecessary to have a big chainring.  But would I be willing to lose my granny gear?  That would be a stretch, but I don’t see the reason to go from 3x9 to 2x9.  Might as well just stay with what I got at that point.  3 to 2 saves nothing on the bar.  But I need a new set of rings regardless.  They’re pretty wallered out.

Other than that upgrade I am not going to entertain thoughts of shaving weight off the bike.  The only weight savings that make sense is off my fat self.  I can stand to lose 20 pounds easy and perhaps 30 pounds if I work hard.  It’s win-win-win, cause if I can drop the poundage then my return to rock climbing will be more enjoyable and my long-distance running goals for the year should benefit as well.  So it shall be written; so it shall be done.

Training rides.  Yeah, that’s where I dove into this rabbit hole.  It’s going to take a lot of road miles to get me where I need to be.  But I am going to have to maximize the trail riding I do this year to prepare.  Jefe has a couple miles.  I’ve almost got a completed mile loop.  There are some low-hanging fruit to be pruned, raked, and ridden.  It’s going to be a good year if we can either get a lot of freezing or not much rain.  Otherwise the pavement is where it’s going to be at.
 
Team Pavement's Edge pre-season conditioning ride
 
In other house cleaning news: the Kickstarter project to fund my book didn’t even get close.  But that’s okay.  I’ll shoot off a PDF copy to those who did pledge once I get a final draft as promised.  Until then I’m going to work on getting a revised draft together to start shopping around.  We’ll go at this conventionally during Phase II of the Pavement’s Edge/Chainring Leadville or Bust Novelization Project.

I’ve also indefinitely pushed back my scheme to do a trail half marathon linking Rough Trail and Swift Camp Creek Trail in the Red River Gorge due to the weather and my inherent laziness to train.  I say “indefinitely pushed back” only to mean that I don’t know when right now, but that I do still fully intend to run the trails as soon as my training and the weather can get together in collaboration.  I’ve been running sporadically and with the PoLaR VoRtEx swirling about the land it’s been derned hard to get out and run.  Of course you can see I have been squeezing in not nearly enough cross training in the form of cross country skiing.  I’ve also got to start thinking about training to go toe to toe with the Mohican, and I’m not talking about the trash-talker mountain/road biker that lives in a hole under High Rock.  

What I fear is that the remainder of the winter won’t be cold enough to freeze the seasonal Kentucky mud and I won’t be able to get back on the MTB until far too late in the training season.  Ack!  Road riding it will have to be!
 
Last year on the Sheltowee
 

1 comment:

  1. That'll be a good race. Just no migraines this year, OK?

    ReplyDelete