Friday, April 11

The Redbud Ride: Tussey Time

In honor of the Redbud Ride tomorrow (and apologies to Don Williams):


Tussey Time (sung to the tune of Tulsa Time)


I left Laurel County ridin' on a bicycle
Just about to lose my mind
I was goin' on to East Bernstadt, maybe on to Livingston
Where the people like them bikes just fine
My baby said I was crazy, don’t gun for Tussey lazy
I was goin' to show 'em all this time
'Cause you know I ain't no fool an' I don't need no more schoolin'
I was born to just climb that climb

Livin' on Tussey time
Livin' on Tussey time
Well you know I've been through it
When I set my mind onto it
Livin' on Tussey time

Well there I was in ridin’ in the woods wishin' I was doin' good
Talkin' on the cellphone line
But I can’t get a K-O-M and the pacelines are too long
Guess I’m just wastin’ time
Well then I got to thinkin', man I'm really sinkin'
And I really felt a bonk this time
I had no business draftin' and my body would be collapsin'
If I went on back to Tussey time

Livin' on Tussey time
Livin' on Tussey time
Gonna set my watch back to it
I-I've set my mind onto it
Livin' on Tussey time



Truth be told I have nothing to fear from Tussey Hill.  Lately I've been tackling my local hills, and in the last two weeks I've even climbed two of the hardest on my longtail cargo bike.  I think Tussey will be fine.  And while I'm not worried, I am looking forward to Tussey.  I consider myself a connoisseur of fine Cumberland Plateau cycling climbs.

After cresting Pottershop Hill during the OKHT last fall a volunteer eagerly asked what I thought about the climb.  I said it was no big deal.  They thought I was joking when I said my home hills were bigger.  I had a similar exchange with an organizer for another Bluegrass region century ride.

No really...Furnace, State Rock, Sky Bridge, High Rock, Cobhill, Patsey...all way tougher.  And those are just the paved roads.  Remember, the most insane hill I've ever ridden (pushing my bike up Columbine and Powerline don't count) is a gravel waterfall about two miles from my house.  It's hard to get up and down in a car.  And I lived in Colorado for five years where the climbs are miles and miles long with steady average grades even if they don't have extremely steep sections.

It takes a big hill to impress me.  But I can enjoy any good hill, and I'm looking forward to seeing what Tussey's all about.

1 comment: